查看: 4617|回复: 15

[燕姿留言] 2010-04-29 Don’t work. Avoid telling the truth. Be hated. Love someone

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-4-29 19:49:12 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
(文章翻译见二楼)

Came across this speech today. I think this should be shared with as many people as possible.

------
Written by Adrian Tan, author of The Teenage Textbook (1988), was the guest-of-honour at a recent NTU convocation ceremony.

This was his speech to the graduating class of 2008.
-----

I must say thank you to the faculty and staff of the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information for inviting me to give your convocation address. It’s a wonderful honour and a privilege for me to speak here for ten minutes without fear of contradiction, defamation or retaliation. I say this as a Singaporean and more so as a husband.

My wife is a wonderful person and perfect in every way except one. She is the editor of a magazine. She corrects people for a living. She has honed her expert skills over a quarter of a century, mostly by practising at home during conversations between her and me.

On the other hand, I am a litigator. Essentially, I spend my day telling people how wrong they are. I make my living being disagreeable.

Nevertheless, there is perfect harmony in our matrimonial home. That is because when an editor and a litigator have an argument, the one who triumphs is always the wife.

And so I want to start by giving one piece of advice to the men: when you’ve already won her heart, you don’t need to win every argument.

Marriage is considered one milestone of life. Some of you may already be married. Some of you may never be married. Some of you will be married. Some of you will enjoy the experience so much, you will be married many, many times. Good for you.

The next big milestone in your life is today: your graduation. The end of education. You’re done learning.

You’ve probably been told the big lie that “Learning is a lifelong process” and that therefore you will continue studying and taking masters’ degrees and doctorates and professorships and so on. You know the sort of people who tell you that? Teachers. Don’t you think there is some measure of conflict of interest? They are in the business of learning, after all. Where would they be without you? They need you to be repeat customers.

The good news is that they’re wrong.

The bad news is that you don’t need further education because your entire life is over. It is gone. That may come as a shock to some of you. You’re in your teens or early twenties. People may tell you that you will live to be 70, 80, 90 years old. That is your life expectancy.

I love that term: life expectancy. We all understand the term to mean the average life span of a group of people. But I’m here to talk about a bigger idea, which is what you expect from your life.

You may be very happy to know that Singapore is currently ranked as the country with the third highest life expectancy. We are behind Andorra and Japan, and tied with San Marino. It seems quite clear why people in those countries, and ours, live so long. We share one thing in common: our football teams are all hopeless. There’s very little danger of any of our citizens having their pulses raised by watching us play in the World Cup. Spectators are more likely to be lulled into a gentle and restful nap.

Singaporeans have a life expectancy of 81.8 years. Singapore men live to an average of 79.21 years, while Singapore women live more than five years longer, probably to take into account the additional time they need to spend in the bathroom.

So here you are, in your twenties, thinking that you’ll have another 40 years to go. Four decades in which to live long and prosper.

Bad news. Read the papers. There are people dropping dead when they’re 50, 40, 30 years old. Or quite possibly just after finishing their convocation. They would be very disappointed that they didn’t meet their life expectancy.

I’m here to tell you this. Forget about your life expectancy.

After all, it’s calculated based on an average. And you never, ever want to expect being average.

Revisit those expectations. You might be looking forward to working, falling in love, marrying, raising a family. You are told that, as graduates, you should expect to find a job paying so much, where your hours are so much, where your responsibilities are so much.

That is what is expected of you. And if you live up to it, it will be an awful waste.

If you expect that, you will be limiting yourself. You will be living your life according to boundaries set by average people. I have nothing against average people. But no one should aspire to be them. And you don’t need years of education by the best minds in Singapore to prepare you to be average.

What you should prepare for is mess. Life’s a mess. You are not entitled to expect anything from it. Life is not fair. Everything does not balance out in the end. Life happens, and you have no control over it. Good and bad things happen to you day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment. Your degree is a poor armour against fate.

Don’t expect anything. Erase all life expectancies. Just live. Your life is over as of today. At this point in time, you have grown as tall as you will ever be, you are physically the fittest you will ever be in your entire life and you are probably looking the best that you will ever look. This is as good as it gets. It is all downhill from here. Or up. No one knows.

What does this mean for you? It is good that your life is over.

Since your life is over, you are free. Let me tell you the many wonderful things that you can do when you are free.

The most important is this: do not work.

Work is anything that you are compelled to do. By its very nature, it is undesirable.

Work kills. The Japanese have a term “Karoshi”, which means death from overwork. That’s the most dramatic form of how work can kill. But it can also kill you in more subtle ways. If you work, then day by day, bit by bit, your soul is chipped away, disintegrating until there’s nothing left. A rock has been ground into sand and dust.

There’s a common misconception that work is necessary. You will meet people working at miserable jobs. They tell you they are “making a living”. No, they’re not. They’re dying, frittering away their fast-extinguishing lives doing things which are, at best, meaningless and, at worst, harmful.

People will tell you that work ennobles you, that work lends you a certain dignity. Work makes you free. The slogan “Arbeit macht frei” was placed at the entrances to a number of Nazi concentration camps. Utter nonsense.

Do not waste the vast majority of your life doing something you hate so that you can spend the small remainder sliver of your life in modest comfort. You may never reach that end anyway.

Resist the temptation to get a job. Instead, play. Find something you enjoy doing. Do it. Over and over again. You will become good at it for two reasons: you like it, and you do it often. Soon, that will have value in itself.

I like arguing, and I love language. So, I became a litigator. I enjoy it and I would do it for free. If I didn’t do that, I would’ve been in some other type of work that still involved writing fiction – probably a sports journalist.

So what should you do? You will find your own niche. I don’t imagine you will need to look very hard. By this time in your life, you will have a very good idea of what you will want to do. In fact, I’ll go further and say the ideal situation would be that you will not be able to stop yourself pursuing your passions. By this time you should know what your obsessions are. If you enjoy showing off your knowledge and feeling superior, you might become a teacher.

Find that pursuit that will energise you, consume you, become an obsession. Each day, you must rise with a restless enthusiasm. If you don’t, you are working.

Most of you will end up in activities which involve communication. To those of you I have a second message: be wary of the truth. I’m not asking you to speak it, or write it, for there are times when it is dangerous or impossible to do those things. The truth has a great capacity to offend and injure, and you will find that the closer you are to someone, the more care you must take to disguise or even conceal the truth. Often, there is great virtue in being evasive, or equivocating. There is also great skill. Any child can blurt out the truth, without thought to the consequences. It takes great maturity to appreciate the value of silence.

In order to be wary of the truth, you must first know it. That requires great frankness to yourself. Never fool the person in the mirror.

I have told you that your life is over, that you should not work, and that you should avoid telling the truth. I now say this to you: be hated.

It’s not as easy as it sounds. Do you know anyone who hates you? Yet every great figure who has contributed to the human race has been hated, not just by one person, but often by a great many. That hatred is so strong it has caused those great figures to be shunned, abused, murdered and in one famous instance, nailed to a cross.

One does not have to be evil to be hated. In fact, it’s often the case that one is hated precisely because one is trying to do right by one’s own convictions. It is far too easy to be liked, one merely has to be accommodating and hold no strong convictions. Then one will gravitate towards the centre and settle into the average. That cannot be your role. There are a great many bad people in the world, and if you are not offending them, you must be bad yourself. Popularity is a sure sign that you are doing something wrong.

The other side of the coin is this: fall in love.

I didn’t say “be loved”. That requires too much compromise. If one changes one’s looks, personality and values, one can be loved by anyone.

Rather, I exhort you to love another human being. It may seem odd for me to tell you this. You may expect it to happen naturally, without deliberation. That is false. Modern society is anti-love. We’ve taken a microscope to everyone to bring out their flaws and shortcomings. It far easier to find a reason not to love someone, than otherwise. Rejection requires only one reason. Love requires complete acceptance. It is hard work – the only kind of work that I find palatable.

Loving someone has great benefits. There is admiration, learning, attraction and something which, for the want of a better word, we call happiness. In loving someone, we become inspired to better ourselves in every way. We learn the truth worthlessness of material things. We celebrate being human. Loving is good for the soul.

Loving someone is therefore very important, and it is also important to choose the right person. Despite popular culture, love doesn’t happen by chance, at first sight, across a crowded dance floor. It grows slowly, sinking roots first before branching and blossoming. It is not a silly weed, but a mighty tree that weathers every storm.
You will find, that when you have someone to love, that the face is less important than the brain, and the body is less important than the heart.

You will also find that it is no great tragedy if your love is not reciprocated. You are not doing it to be loved back. Its value is to inspire you.

Finally, you will find that there is no half-measure when it comes to loving someone. You either don’t, or you do with every cell in your body, completely and utterly, without reservation or apology. It consumes you, and you are reborn, all the better for it.

Don’t work. Avoid telling the truth. Be hated. Love someone.

(这好像是燕姿转载的 一篇演讲稿)
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-4-30 01:06:16 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 jnos 于 2010-4-30 01:07 编辑

不工作。不要讲事实。让别人恨你。去爱一个人。
今天读到一篇演讲。我觉得大家都该来看看。------
作者是Adrian Tan,著有The Teenage Textbook (在新加坡被译成“纯爱手册”),作为特别嘉宾出席了不久前南洋理工大学的毕业典礼。
(注: Adrian Tan 是一名新加坡的律师、作家,写过两本科幻小说,分别叫做The Teenage Textbook 和 The Teenage Workbook, which were bestsellers in Singapore in the late-1980s. 这两本书在八十年代末是畅销书,我想燕姿小时候可能会读过吧。这两本书是作者在新加坡国立大学读书期间写的,销量超5万册。 在1988年,The Teenage Textbook还被拍成了电影和舞台剧。作为律师,他擅长的领域是知识产权法和信息技术法。
这是面向2008届毕业生的演讲。-----首先我要感谢黄金辉传播与信息学院的教职员工邀请我做今天的毕业演讲。可以在这里做十分钟演讲,而不必担心被反驳、诽谤和报复,我深感荣幸之至。我作为一名新加坡人也作为一名丈夫这样说。
我的妻子是个优秀的女人,她在每方面都接近完美,除了一点之外。她是杂志编辑。她以改造他人为生。她用超过25年的时间磨练此专业技能,而且主要靠在家与我对话来一步步提升。
而我是一名律师。基本上,我每天都在告诉别人他们有多么错误。我的生活充满反驳。尽管如此,我们的婚姻生活是完美和谐的。这是因为,每次编辑与律师发生争吵,获胜的永远都是我妻子。所以,我首先要给男人们一条忠告:一旦你已经赢取了她的芳心,你就不必再赢得每次争论。婚姻是生活的里程碑。你们当中的有些人也许已经结婚,有些人也许永远不会结婚,有些人即将结婚。还有些人特别喜欢结婚,会结很多次婚。真替他们高兴。
生活中另一个重要的里程碑就是今天了:毕业。结束接受教育,不再学习。
你们也许听说一个大谎言:“学习是一辈子的事情”,然后你们继续学习,取得硕士、博士学位,成为教授。是谁跟你们这么说的?教师。你们没发现某种程度的利益冲突吗?他们毕竟是做学习生意的。如果没有你们这些学生,他们怎么办?他们需要你们作为回头客啊。
好消息是他们错了。
坏消息是你不必继续深造,因为你的整个生命逝去了。全部消失。对你们当中的一些人来说很受打击吧。你们才十几岁或者二十出头。人们会告诉你说,你会活到70、80、90岁。这是你的预期寿命。
我喜欢这个术语:预期寿命。我们都知道,这个术语指的是一群人的平均寿命。但在这里我指的是一个更广义的概念,你想从你的生命中获得什么。
也许,听说新加坡的人均寿命位列第三你会很高兴。我们排在安道尔和日本后面,与圣马力诺差不多。为什么人们在我们国家和这些国家都活得长呢?我们有一个共同点:我们的国家足球队都令人绝望。我们的任何公民基本都没有观看世界杯心跳加速的危险。观众更可能的是看着看着就睡着了。
新加坡人的预期寿命是81.8岁。新加坡男人的平均寿命是79.21岁,比新加坡女人少五岁,也许要考虑一下新加坡女人在梳洗打扮上花的时间。
你们现在二十多岁,觉得你们还有四十多年呢。40年的时间很长很精彩。
坏消息。看看报纸。很多人在他们50、40甚至30岁的时候就突然离开人世,有的可能刚刚毕业就离去。他们没有活到预期寿命,一定很失望。
我想在这里告诉你们。不要考虑预期寿命。毕竟,他们是根据平均值计算出来的。你从未想过成为平均数。再看一下那些期望。你也许期盼工作、恋爱、结婚、养家。你们被告知,作为大学毕业生,你应该找高薪的工作,因为你有充裕的时间,并肩负着重大的责任。这是对你的期待。如果你真的做到了,则造成了严重的浪费。如果你真期望那些东西,你就会局限自己。你按照普通百姓设定的范畴去生活。我并不是反对普通百姓,但没人愿意立志成为普通百姓。如果你只想成为普通百姓,你也没有必要接受好几年来自新加坡最优秀的人对你的教育。你应做好准备面对困境。生活是很复杂的。你并没有资格从中获取任何东西。生活是不公平的。最终并不是什么事情都达到平衡。生活充满偶然,你无法掌控。每天、每时、每刻都有好的坏的事情发生。你的学位只是对抗命运的小小盔甲。不要期望任何事。消除所有对生活的期待。只是生活。过一天算一天。在这一刻,你已经长得足够高。你的身体达到一生中最健康的水平,相貌也比从前大有改观。这些条件在这一刻都是让人满意的。从此往后,可能愈来愈好,也可能每况愈下。没人知道具体的答案。
这对你来说意味着什么?生命逝去是件好事。
一旦生命逝去,你就自由了。让我告诉你,当你自由的时候可以做多么好的事情。
最重要的是这个:不工作。
工作是指你被强迫做的任何事情。根据它的本质,工作是不受欢迎的。
工作伤人。日本有个词语叫“过劳死”,指的是死于过度工作。这是工作伤人最生动鲜明的形式。但工作也能在微小的方面伤害你。如果你工作,那么你的灵魂会一天天、一点点被磨蚀、瓦解直到不复存在。就像一块岩石被风化成沙子和尘土。有一个对工作的普遍错误认识是工作时必需的。你会看见有些人在痛苦地工作。他们说他们是“为了生存”。不,他们不是。他们在一点点死亡、一点点浪费稍纵即逝的生命来做充其量是毫无意义的工作,或者更坏一点来说,有害的工作。
人们会说工作使你高贵,给你某种尊严。工作使你自由。“劳动带来自由”的口号曾被挂在纳粹集中营的入口处。一派胡言。
不要浪费生命中的大多数时间做你不喜欢的事情,只为了余下的小部分时间过得相对舒适。你也许永远无法达到这个目标。
抵制找工作的诱惑。选择玩。找到你喜欢做的事情。一边一边去做。两个原因使你变得很擅长:一是你喜欢,二是你总去做。不久,你就会在其中找到价值。
我喜欢争论,我也喜欢语言。所以我选择作为一名诉讼律师。我喜欢这个工作,我宁愿免费去做。如果我不做这项工作,我也会做其他与写小说有关的工作——也许做一名体育记者。
那么你该做什么?你应该找到你是饿的职业,我不想让你很辛苦地去找。在生命这个阶段,你应该很清楚你想要做什么。事实上,我想进一步说,理想的情况是你一直在不停地追求激情。这个时候,你该清楚你对什么迷恋。如果你愿意彰显你渊博的知识,追求出众的感觉,你该成为一名教师。
找到那个可以给你能量的追求,然后全心投入、着迷。每天,你必须带着不灭的热情醒来。否则,你就是在工作。
你们大部分人会绊倒在与交流有关的活动上。对于那些人我有第二条忠告:小心对待事实。我不是让你把它说出来或写出来,因为总会有一些时候很危险或不可能做那样的事情。事实有很大的冒犯和伤害能力,你会发现,你离一个人越近,你就必须越注意掩饰好隐藏事实。很多时候,回避和含糊其辞是一大优点。这当然需要很多技巧。任何小孩子都会脱口而出事实,而不考虑后果。成熟的人才会欣赏沉默的价值。为了小心对待事实,你必须先了解事实。这需要对自己很坦诚。不要愚弄镜子里的那个人。我已经讲过你的生命结束了,你不该工作,你要避免说实话。下面我要对你们说的是:让别人恨你。
这并没有想象中那么简单。你知道谁恨你吗?可是每一位对人类做出重大贡献的伟人都被不止一个人恨过。那些憎恨太强烈,以至于它们使那些伟人逃避、被折磨、被杀害,有一个著名的例子,被钉死在十字架上。一个人不是非要很坏才能被憎恨。事实上很多情况下,有人被憎恨,是因为他在做他认为正确的事情。被人喜欢太容易了。一个人只要随和,没有强烈的信念就会被喜欢。这样的话人就会越来越中庸,最后成为一个普通百姓。这不该是你的选择。这个世界上有很多坏人,如果你不想冒犯他们,你必须自己成为“坏人”。受大众欢迎就意味着你在做错误的事情。就另一方面而言:去爱。
我没有说“被爱”。这个需要太多妥协。如果一个人改变了自己的相貌、性格和价值观,他可以让任何人喜欢他。
可是,我劝你去爱别人。我跟你说这个看起来有点奇怪。你可能希望这样的事情自然发生,没有目的性。这是不对的。现代社会是抵制爱情的。我们拿显微镜来放大每个人的缺点和不足。找个理由不爱一个人很容易,比爱一个人容易很多。拒绝只需要一个理由。爱却需要完全的接受。这很难——这也是我唯一觉得很渴望做的事情。
爱一个人有很多好处。可以让你崇拜、学习、吸引,并找到美好的幸福。在爱一个人的时候,我们会在各方面激励自己。我们学会了解物质的微不足道。我们赞美人类。爱对于灵魂是有益的。
所以爱一个人是非常重要的,选择正确的人当然也十分重要。与流行文化不同,爱其实并非偶然发生、一见钟情、在拥挤的舞池中出现。爱是缓慢生长的,在长出枝干、开花结果前需要深深地扎根。它不是愚蠢的杂草,而是能抵御风雪的强壮大树。
你会发现,如果你爱上一个人,她的容貌不及智慧重要,她的身体不及心灵重要。
你也会发现,如果你的爱没有回报也并不可悲。你爱不是为了被爱。爱的价值在于鼓励你。
最后,你会发现爱上一个人没有折中的程度。要么不爱,要么用你全身的每个细胞去爱,彻底地、完全地、毫无保留和愧疚地。它会将你吞灭,可是当你重生,一切会因它而更好。
不工作。不要讲事实。让别人恨你。去爱一个人。

翻译: 转姿吧---joyapple1
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-4-30 03:07:56 | 显示全部楼层
好多呀!!!!!等下慢慢看
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-4-30 10:55:21 | 显示全部楼层
好棒o(≧v≦)o~~
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-4-30 14:04:49 | 显示全部楼层
看见那么多字犯晕……